Have you ever gotten on social media and seen a friend request from a friend you thought you were already friends with? There is a good chance that friend may have been hacked and it’s not actually them sending you the new request.
Unfortunately, social media profiles are hacked more than you might think, and sometimes a strong password just isn’t enough to give you a real sense of security. Luckily, you can set up two-factor authentication on most social media channels. Here’s how to do it on some of the most popular ones:
First, go to the Facebook website or app*. Make sure you’re logged in.
- Click the downward-pointing arrow in the upper right corner to open a menu.
- Click Settings & Privacy.
- In the Settings & Privacy menu, click Settings then click Security and Login (found in the left sidebar).
- Scroll down until you see the category, Two-Factor Authentication and click Use two-factor authentication.
- Choose the method of security you would like and follow the prompts for setup.
First, go to the Instagram website or app*. Make sure you’re logged in.
- Click your profile picture in the upper right corner.
- Click Settings.
- In the sidebar on the left side of the page, click Privacy and Security.
- Scroll down to Two-Factor Authentication and click Edit Two-Factor Authentication Setting.
- Choose the security method you prefer by clicking in the checkmark box next to the method of your choosing. Follow the prompts to finish setup.
First, go to the Twitter website or app*. Make sure you’re logged in.
- In the left sidebar, locate and click More.
- Click Settings and Privacy.
- Click Security and account access, then Security.
- Under Two-factor authentication, click Two-factor authentication.
- Choose the security method you prefer by clicking in the checkbox next to the method of your choosing. Follow the prompts to finish setup.
First, go to the LinkedIn website or app*. Make sure you’re logged in.
- In the bar at the top of the page, click on your profile picture to open a dropdown menu.
- Under Account, click Settings & Privacy.
- In the left sidebar, click Sign in & security.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Two-step verification.
- If Two-step verification is turned off, it will say, “Two-step verification is turned off.” To turn it on, click Turn on.