A backup is a second copy of your important files. Back up any and all files you find valuable and irreplaceable – like your family photos and videos, the important paper that took you 3 weeks to write, projects for work, etc.
Your Data is Valuable
If something were to happen to your device – whether you lose it or your it was stolen – you can easily replace the device. Something that can’t be replaced is the lost data. In some respects, your data could be viewed as more valuable to you than your device even is.
What Should You Do?
Preform backups regularly.
A backup is a second copy of any piece of data that exists on a device. This second copy is stored somewhere different from your actual device (physically stored, or digitally stored) so in the event that something were to happen to your device, you still have another copy of the data.
Reasons Why You Should Backup
There are countless scenarios that could play out and land you in a place where having a backup of your data could be a lifesaver.
- Your phone gets stolen and you lose all of your photos, videos, notes, etc.
- You’re working remotely from several locations and forget your device somewhere and can’t locate it.
- A virus holds your data hostage until you pay to move the restraints (you should never pay!).
- Something important somehow gets accidentally deleted.
Options to Backup
ITS offers backup services for our school and business clients and can give advice on the best options to suit your needs. If you are interested in options for home device backup or personal cell phones, here are a few.
- Backup to an external hard drive. Try finding one that can hold more data than your computer, that way you have plenty of memory to store your backups.
- Backup online. Instead of purchasing a physical storage device, you can also use a cloud service like OneDrive, DropBox, Google Drive, or Amazon Cloud Drive. Keep in mind that services like these don’t have much space and can only back up about one folder on your computer. However, this may be useful for people that only care to have their most important files backed up.
- Backup your whole computer online. If you wish to backup your whole computer online and not just one file, you will need more space than services like those mentioned above can offer you. You can find several options to choose from by typing “online backup reviews” into your favorite search engine.
Backup your priceless possessions this World Backup Day