Zoom-bombing is not limited to the popular web conferencing tool bearing the same name, but Zoom is the most notorious toolset for attracting and allowing hijacking of sessions and data.
Following several reports of compromised web meeting sessions, the FBI has released helpful guidelines for interacting with students and clients through video-teleconferencing (VTC) sessions.
Secure Your Video Sessions
- Ensure meetings are private, either by requiring a password for entry or controlling guest access from a waiting room.
- Consider security requirements when selecting vendors. For example, if end-to-end encryption is necessary, does the vendor offer it?
- Ensure VTC software is up to date
Who has end-to-end encryption? These products do:
- 3CX (This is the tool ITS uses – it is integrated with our phone system and provides a full communication toolset)
- AnyMeeting – part of our Intermedia Hosted Exchange product
- Cisco WebEx provides end-to-end encryption
- Apple’s FaceTime provides end-to-end encryption
- GoToMeeting provides end-to-end encryption
These products support other forms of encryption or end-to-end encryption only with specific setups.
- Google Hangouts Meet – when conference through a Google Meeting room, through the web browser or through the mobile app. Read more about Google’s encryption here.
- Microsoft Teams – data is encrypted in transit, and data stored in OneNote and SharePoint is encrypted. Read more about Team’s encryption and more information here.
- Zoom provides transit encryption
I’m Already Using Zoom – Can I Make It Safer?
Start by reading the Zoom response to security questions on their blog. You will see that Zoom changed and released some settings to make the product more secure and will continue focusing on security.
- Setup a private meeting room and require a password
- Use a password to allow others to join
- Take advantage of the Zoom resources to learn how to best use their features
- Think twice about sharing any sensitive data
Need More Help?
There are lots of great tools available, many at free and discounted prices to help America keep moving and growing. Contact ITS for more information and support on developing your remote work plan.