Data Center Physical Security
Iowa is a top location for data center construction in North America. The state’s limited exposure to natural disasters makes it a safe location to store your data, a fact confirmed by the decisions of top technology companies Google and Microsoft to build data centers in Iowa.
While Iowa is safe from disasters such as hurricanes, roaming power outages, seismic activity and wild fires found in other states, we are exposed to flooding and tornadoes. ITS has utilized construction techniques and industry-tested designs to limit these risks. Our facility is built into a hill at an elevation safe from even extreme flooding. Three of the four sides are surrounded by earth with only the loading dock exposed. The exposed loading dock features double walls for extra protection, and all of the data center walls and ceiling are constructed with 12-inch thick reinforced concrete.
Layered Access Control
- Three levels of physical security
- Biometric challenge for access to data center
- No clients are allowed in the data center without an ITS escort
Documentation and Surveillance
- All visitors are required to sign in and out of facility
- Logging/Auditing of all access attempts
- Video Surveillance of entire campus